Honey Recipe: Whole-Wheat Honey Cake
This delicious honey-wheat cake is very rich, so be careful when slicing yourself a big piece!
- 2 1/2 cups sprouted or regular whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice and/or cloves as you prefer
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup loose-scooped brown sugar
- 1 cup raw honey (how to harvest your own honey)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cup olive or other available healthy-choice oil
- 3/4 cup orange juice, leftover coffee or other liquid of choice, such as lemon, according to preference
- 1 orange peel, grated (if using orange juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or other extract of choice if using coffee or other liquid (try almond, lemon peel or extract with lemon juice instead of orange, etc.)
- 1/2 cup raw honey, warmed slightly to thin
- 1/4 cup orange juice or liquid of choice. I like Kahlua with the coffee choice; rum also works nicely, or just keep it simple, to your taste.
Pour thinned honey mixture over cake to moisten and soak in evenly.
This cake is rich; a thin slice is very satisfying. It serves many people, and keeps well, unrefrigerated. You can also chill it and serve with a dollop of cream or yogurt.
Thank you, honeybees!
Submit Comment »
Give us your opinion on Honey Recipe: Whole-Wheat Honey Cake.